Speaker: Aditya Nanda Kuswanto
The Power Given to You
- We are entering the third Pentecost.
- There were two previous Pentecosts. The first one happened 2000 years ago (i.e. as written in the book of Acts) and the 2nd one happened about 100 years ago with a man named William Seymour.
- When the Holy Spirit is in us, God has a great promise to us; that we will receive power.
- (Acts 1:8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
- Peter was sharing the word of God for 4 minutes, 3,000 people repenting.
- In order to receive such power, we must be cleansed thoroughly even if that means unpleasant trials.
- After Jesus died the disciples dispersed due to the Romans wanting to shut down the movement; however, Jesus had told them to stay in Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit. Peter had preached in Jerusalem knowing he was in danger and that Jerusalem was fragile.
Obedience Out of Love
- As a Christian, if you live a life like Christ people will ask you questions and be prepared to answer them.
- (1 Peter 3:15) But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
- Early churches were scattered due to persecution.
- (1 Peter 1:1) Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,
- The original definition of witness is martyr, which means it will cost you to become one, even risking your own life.
- All of the disciples are persecuted, but why would they do that?
- Obedience Out of Love
- An illustration of a flying eagle
- Eagles fly with two wings, this describes how we should be as a follower of Christ, as a church. One side of the wings is the spiritual side, meaning that we pray, we fast, and we join together in worship. The other side of the wings is our character. In order for an eagle to fly higher and higher, both wings must be balanced. Therefore, character is as important as spiritual level, character must be as strong as the spiritual side.
- Obedience is a character that comes from Jesus Himself, it is an example that Jesus set – He was obedient until death.
- God wants to use us mightily. Yet, it is not possible for someone to be used by Him without obedience.
- Obedience is the key to be used by God and without it the heart is unguided and you become terrible.
- What do we need to do next?
- (1 Peter 3:15) “But in your hearts, set apart Christ as Lord…”
- Jesus himself will be the one who teach us how to have a strong character, how to be obedient.