Speaker: Ps. Lydia
An Authentic Calling
- What does it mean when something is authentic?
- More than anything, it means that it isn’t merely a shadow of the fullness of the truth.
- Authentic Middle-Eastern food is not a reproduction of Middle-Eastern food, it is Middle-Eastern food.
- The Bible revolves around the message that salvation is found alone in the Person of Jesus.
- An authentic teaching from the Word would declare that this its main message.
- Not earthly prosperity or social justice or feminism or conservatism or liberalism or etc…
- (Acts 4:12) And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
- (Romans 8:29) For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
- Where we are now should reflect our afterlife.
- Our final destination bleeds into our daily life.
- (Colossians 3:10) and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
The Calling of the Church
- The Great Commission is the finale, the capstone to Jesus’ ministry
- Jesus knew that this new movement needed to know where it was headed.
- We needed a mission and a vision.
- How do we know when we’ve reached the end when we don’t even know what our end is?
- (Matthew 16:18) And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
- God is not leaving us to journey alone as individuals. He has given us three sources of guidance for the oath ahead.
- He has left us His Church, His Word, and His Spirit.
- (John 14:26) But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness
- We have been called to walk in an authentic faith, one not defined by legalism or a religious spirit, but one led by these three things which God has left.
- His body the Church, His will in Scripture, and His spirit in the Advocate.